Armenia and Azerbaijan accused each other of violating a new humanitarian truce fighting in the mountains of Nago-Karabakh, just hours after the agreement.
The ceasefire agreed on Saturday came into force at midnight (2000 GMT) after a week-long Russian-mediated ceasefire failed to halt the worst battles in the southern Caucasus since the 1990s.
The Armenian Defense Ministry said the Azeri forces fired twice at night and used artillery.
Azeri’s Defense Ministry said, “The enemy used mortars and artillery to fire near Jabrail as well as villages in the region.” The Azeri army added that “appropriate retaliation has been taken.”
Officials of Nagorno-Karabakh said that the Azeri army launched an assault on the military position of the territory and there were casualties and injuries on both sides.
Nagorno-Karabakh is an internationally recognized mountainous territory as part of Azerbaijan, but is inhabited and ruled by the Armenian peoples.
Earlier this month the ceasefire was aimed at allowing both sides to exchange the bodies of prisoners and those who died in conflict, but had little effect on the battles around the territory.
The new ceasefire was announced on Saturday after Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov spoke by phone with Armenians and Azeri and asked both sides to watch the ceasefire he mediated a week earlier.
Russia, France and the United States belong to the Minsk Group, which worked to resolve disputes under the Organization for Security and Cooperation of Europe (OSCE).
Baku said on Saturday that 60 Azeri civilians were killed and 270 wounded after the battle on September 27.
Nagorno-Karabakh said that 633 of the soldiers were killed and 36 civilians were killed.