Azerbaijan accused Armenia of attempting to attack gas and oil pipelines on Wednesday, and warned of a “serious” response as tensions over the ceasefire in the Nago Renault-Karabakh mountains rose sharply.
Armenia denied this claim and said the Azeri forces were trying to take over a small territory ruled by the Armenian peoples despite Saturday’s humanitarian ceasefire.
Russia tried to silence the furious investigation and appealed to both sides to watch a ceasefire mediated through the internationally recognized Nagorno-Karabakh as part of Azerbaijan.
However, Moscow and Turkey also exchanged accusations for the battle that killed more than 600 people since September 27th. The majority of these were Nago Renault-Karabakh soldiers.
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan told Russia’s President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday that he wants a permanent solution to the problem of Ankara and Renault-Karabakh.
Putin expressed concern over the participation of Middle Eastern fighters in the Nago Renault-Karabakh conflict, which both Ankara and Baku denied. The two leaders reaffirmed the importance of a Moscow-mediated ceasefire in the war, the Kremlin said.
There is growing fear that two large regional powers could fall into a conflict that is taking place near the Azeri pipeline that carries gas and oil to international markets. https://tmsnrt.rs/2SLS5ID
“Armenia is trying to attack and control our pipeline,” said President Ilham Aliyev Azeri in an interview with Turkish broadcaster Haberturk.
“I can say that the consequences will be serious if Armenia tries to dominate the pipeline there.”
Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan described the situation in the conflict zone very difficult, saying Azerbaijan and Turkey did not want to “stop the aggression.”
He said Azerbaijan is nago and is trying to capture Renault-Karabakh. He said that the Armenian army spoke a language similar to the Azeri leaders who say they are occupying the territory.
Azerbaijan has more firepower than Armenia, and according to Turkish export data, last month before the start of the battle, Azerbaijan purchased military equipment worth $ 771 million in Turkey. Turkey’s military exports to its allies increased six times this year.
Nagorno-Karabakh admitted to some frustrations in the battle that caused fear of a humanitarian crisis, but said the situation was under control.
Nagorno-Karabakh leader Arayik Harutyunyan said, “It is not too late to settle the dispute peacefully through negotiations.” “But if you don’t want the enemy, you’re ready to fight to the end.”
New CEASEFIRE violation
The battle is the worst since the 1991-94 war, where about 30,000 people were killed.
Aliyev tweeted that Azerbaijan had captured eight villages in the Pizoli and Kozabend regions, while Foreign Minister Jehun Bayramov said the Azeri forces had destroyed the Armenian missile system before attacking the Azeri target.
The Armenian Defense Ministry said a hospital in Nago Renault-Karabakh was targeted, but Azerbaijan denied it. Azerbaijan also denied carrying out a drone attack in Armenia, where Azeri Su-25 fighters were shot down and Yerevan said he injured a 14-year-old boy.
Russia, which has signed a defense treaty with Armenia, criticized the proposal that the dispute between Turkey and Azerbaijan could be settled militarily. We want a truce to take effect so that both sides can swap prisoners and corpses.
Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said it was right to place Russian military observers at the line of contact of Nagorno-Karabakh separating the two sides, but it was up to Azerbaijan and Armenia to decide.
He also said that Azerbaijan should bring plans to take control of certain areas around Nagorno-Karabakh to the negotiating table for discussion, but did not provide details.
Turkey has reiterated its support for Azerbaijan, despite criticism from NATO allies for the conflict.
President Erdogan said mediations led by France, the United States and Russia are being delayed and that Nago Renault-Karabakh should be returned to Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijani prosecutors have said that 43 Azeri civilians have been killed and 214 wounded since September 27, but Azerbaijan did not disclose military casualties. Nagorno-Karabakh said that 532 soldiers and 32 civilians were killed.