The “travel bubble” agreed between Hong Kong and Singapore will open on Nov. 22, their governments said on Wednesday, in rare good news for the epidemic-stricken tourism industry.
Hong Kong Commerce Minister Edward Yau told a press conference that a quota of 200 residents from each city would be able to travel from one daily flight to another.
He said those who have been in Hong Kong or Singapore for two weeks and who test negative for Kovid-19 will be allowed to board.
The displacement corridor provides an overview of how places where epidemics are less severe may be able to safely resume certain trips.
Passengers arriving in Hong Kong will need to test negative again at the airport to avoid quarantine, while those arriving in Singapore will need to download a contact tracing app.
Daily flights will be operated by Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific.
Yao said if the city sees more than five new cases per week, the travel bubble will be suspended for two weeks on average from unsolicited sources.
He said if there is no spike in cases, from December 7 the quota of flights between the two regional aviation centers in each city will be increased to two per day.
Singapore Transport Minister Ong Ye Kung said the arrangement would be “due at the end of the pre-Kovid trip”.
According to the Hong Kong Tourism Board, Singapore is a major market for the Hong Kong tourism industry with more than 450,000 visitor arrivals in 2019.
Internet search in Hong Kong has jumped more than four times, following the travel bubble plans announced last month, according to online travel company Expedia, which has increased ticket prices by more than 50%.
(This story was not edited by NDTV employees and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)