Troop levels reduced in Iraq and Afghanistan

The United States will lower the military level to its minimum level in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Washington, United States:

The Pentagon announced on Tuesday that President Donald Trump had lowered military levels in Afghanistan and Iraq in nearly 20 years of war, promising to end conflicts abroad.

Acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller said it could allay any fought concerns for the United States, while Acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller said by January 15, around 2,000 troops would be withdrawn from Afghanistan.

Five hundred more will return from Iraq on the same date, leaving 2,500 in each country.

This move reflects Trump’s policy “to bring the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq to a successful and responsible conclusion and bring home our brave servicemen,” Miller said.

Miller said the United States had achieved its goals, following Al Qaeda’s attacks on the United States in 2001, to defeat Islamic extremists and “help local partners and allies lead the fight.” .

He said, “With the future blessings of the coming year, we will end this generation’s warfare and bring our men and women home.”

The “endless war” has ended

The move brought the United States one step closer to alienating conflicts that have flared and faded since 2001 thanks to three presidents without expiration.

But critics said it came across as a humiliating defeat, leaving the initial threat of extremist Islamic attacks intact.

The announcement came weeks before Trump made up for the Nov. 3 loss to Democrat Joden in the White House.

White House national security adviser Robert O’Brien said Trump had acted sharply since his defeat, adding that the military had been cut for some time.

“Four years ago President Trump promised to end America’s endless wars. Today the Pentagon just announced that President Trump is making this promise to the American people. ”

“By May, President Trump hopes they will return home safe and sound.

Baghdad rocket

Despite the risk of the movements and their impact on the allies, neither Miller nor O’Brien would question the announcement.

It was 10 days after Trump sacked Defense Secretary Mark Oslo, who insisted on keeping 4,500 troops in Afghanistan to support the Kabul government.

After the February 29 peace agreement between the United States and the Taliban rebels, Arizona reduced by 13,000 American forces.

The two sides agreed that the Taliban would then negotiate a power-sharing deal with the Afghan government, so that the U.S. military would leave by May 2021.

But until Graff was ousted, the Pentagon had argued that the Taliban had failed to keep their promises to curb violent attacks on government forces, and that new detachments would pressure them to do so.

In Iraq, Trump also withdrew the US military amid dozens of rocket attacks by Iran-affiliated groups on US embassies and US troop bases.

On Tuesday, a flurry of rockets entered Baghdad’s green zone, where the US embassy was located, wreaking havoc for a month in attacks on the US embassy.

Speaking on the basis of anonymity, a senior US defense official dismissed concerns of Al Qaeda and ISIS about the risk of a resurgence.

“Military service professionals agreed this was the right step,” the official said.

“Al Qaeda has been in Afghanistan for decades and the reality is we would be foolish to say they are leaving tomorrow.”

“Scandalous departure”

However, US allies and senior politicians viewed cuts to the US military as dangerous.

On Monday, US Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell warned that Afghan cuts, like the “humiliating US departure from Vietnam” in 1975, could lead to debate and be an electoral victory for Islamic extremists. .

NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg warned on Tuesday that Afghanistan “could become a platform for international terrorists to plan and organize an attack on our terrorists.”

Democratic Senator Jack Reid, who sits on the Senate Armed Services Committee, accused Trump of a “cynical and chaotic approach” designed to solidify his legacy while leaving a mess for successor Biden.

But Adam Smith, chairman of another Democratic House armed services committee, said after speaking with Miller he viewed the move as “a good political decision.”

“At the same time, this reduction must be executed in a responsible and prudent manner to ensure stability in the region,” he said in a statement.

(Except for the title, this story was not edited by NDTV staff and posted from a syndicated feed.)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: