Washington : The Donald Trump administration is agreeing to remove Kartum from the list of sponsors of terrorism with Sudan, and two US officials said Monday that the announcement will be made in the next few days.
The deal could allow Sudan to take steps to establish diplomatic relations with Israel, one of the officials told Reuters. In recent weeks, the UAE and Bahrain have taken similar steps, mediated by the United States. However, details are still being resolved, the source said.
The reconciliation between Israel and other Arab nations will give US President Donald Trump a chance to promote a new diplomatic achievement as he seeks re-election on November 3.
Sudan’s designation of a terrorist-backed state dates back to the collapsed ruler Omar al-Bashir, making it difficult for the transitional government to relieve the urgently needed debt and raise foreign funding.
Many in Sudan take this for granted, as Bashir was removed last year and Sudan has been working with the United States for a long time on counter-terrorism.
The key insistence of the US-Sudan talks is that Sudan’s announcement of the delisting of Khartoum is not clearly linked to normalization with Israel. Differences remain between Sudanese politics and military officials as to how far and how fast they have to go to warming up relations with Israel.
Sudanese Prime Minister Abdala Hamdok told US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in Khartoum in August that the problem of normalization should not be related to the removal of terrorists in Sudan.
One US official said there is a possibility that the United States will first announce the delisting of Sudan and then leave it to Sudan and Israel to disclose it later through an agreement on establishing relations.
Last September, the UAE and Gulfman’s fellow Bahrain became the first Arab state to sign an agreement to establish official relations with Israel, sharing fears of Iran for the first time in 25 years.
The White House did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Negotiations involving a $35 million settlement in Sudan’s escrow for victims of al-Qaeda attacks on US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998 are expected to close within the next two days, one of the US government sources said.
After that, the Trump administration will inform Congress of its intention to remove Sudan from the list.